Saturday, March 7, 2009

Double Edged Sword

Whoever said beauty is a curse . . . touché.

Beauty is a double edged sword. It is a curse and a blessing. One edge can cut you while the other edge can cut everyone you come across. Bloodshed depends on the choice to let it cut or not. We each have our own swords.

Beauty is created and esteemed by society. All art is subjective to opinion, and a human "masterpiece" does not escape this subjection. Society, as a whole, decides what is beautiful. Sadly, mass media manipulates the subjective opinion with objectivity, when in honest, essential truth, beauty is not objective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've experienced blood on both blades of my sword.

The blade closest to me represents my vulnerability. This edge represents how I see the world and how I see myself without the reflection of a mirror. I choose to keep my edge sharp because I choose to see the world with maximum clarity and precision. As I open up, I lacerate myself and expose my truth. I push myself into my sword to maximize my experience of life.

The blade blunt to me, is sharpened toward my world. This blade represents my masterpiece. Confidence and kindness, openness and awareness form this blade outward, but hold it still. Perceived "beauty" adds sharpness to the edge; however, whether or not this blade severs any skin depends on the temper of the perceiver. Any blood on the external blade represents an attack of envy, inaccuracies and miscommunication. I hold my sword still.

Swords can be swung.

I choose to keep my sword steady. I do not wish any harm on anyone. Ever. I do not get mad. I do not get even. Instead, I push myself harder into my own sword to learn, despite the pain. Heartaches, heartbreaks, distress and betrayal, I look for the strength in myself. I feel agony and I feel awe, but I will never lash out.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes blood on the external blade can come from some 'truth' which may best not have been told but withheld. It can be understood by us, but we need the humanity to know that others may not be better to know that truth.
    -------------------
    On a more positive note, I like your strawberry images and thnaks for the blog list, there are some cool inspiration sites there to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I'm back again. Don't ya just hate it when you come back and re-read your own copy, find a mistake and can't fix it?? I also meant to say the way to get the accents over the vowels is to type whatever vowel you want with one finger while you hold the 'option' key down. If nothing appears then just type the vowel again by itself and the accent should appear above it then. If you want to get a different accent eg: ¨[u],ˆ[i], or ´[e], then just do the same again - for example hold and type 'option & [e]' together, then the vowel and you should get = ú, ó, í, á or é. You get the other accents when you hold down the option key and the vowels indicated above. I hope that is of some use. ☺ Regards from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the é advice! I also learned how to make a degree symbol today. Pretty exciting. Example: 80°! Yay.

    I agree with your first comment, and when and if something is better withheld than told, the pain is on the other side of the blade. But I also believe that the same action or behavior cannot continue; for example, if a girl withholds the truth to her boyfriend about _____, then the girl should stop _____ if she completely regrets her decisions. I am one who if I _____, who felt that withholding information would benefit the boy, I would end the relationship with that boy. I cannot live with any ongoing regrets or hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete