Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Paradox of reality

If asking oneself "Am I dreaming?" in a dream proves that one is, what does it prove in waking life? (Quoted from Hutton)

We live in two realities, more if we are lucky. (Or on drugs, which personally I don't think is lucky, but that the experience may be.) Society allows for one reality yet people live and dream in two. I wake up and wonder why the waking world is more important than the dreaming one. Physical and monetary reasons aside, if I had to chose one, I'd chose dream. I don't mean to sound anti-social, and I suppose the dream world could not exist with out the experiences of the waking world and vice versa, but again, if forced to chose one, I'd pick dreamland. I fly. I am giant. I am tiny. I'm in love. I have fun. I can surf. I can ski. I can fall, yet I feel no pain. But I can wake up screaming. Now here's another point. Waking up from a nightmare, essentially rescues you from the perils of the dream. If I couldn't wake up, if my "waking world" didn't exist, would the perils continue and feel as though they feel in the waking world?? Because then I'd have to rethink my decision. A big deciding factor for the dream choice was the escape of physical and interpersonal pain and suffering. I suppose this supports the basis for Hutton's paradox.

2 comments:

  1. That's deep. What an enjoyable, paradoxical rant. I think I'll take real life. If these were no consequences, like in dreams, there's be less reason to swing for the fences in life. Threat of loss makes the gains so much richer.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you lived in dreams, your fences could be mountains; then, not only would you swing for them, you could soar over them and explore entirely new places.

    ReplyDelete